David J. Farley of Plympton, Plymouth, United Kingdom

David J. Farley of Plympton, Plymouth, United Kingdom

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Transparent Butterfly



It comes from Central America and is found from Mexico to Panama. It is quite common in its zone, but it is not easy to find because of its transparent wings, which is a natural camouflage mechanism. A butterfly with transparent wings is rare and beautiful.

As delicate as finely blown glass, the presence of this rare tropical gem is used by rain forest ecologists as an indication of high habitat quality and its demise alerts them of ecological change.

Rivalling the refined beauty of a stained glass window, the translucent wings of the Glasswing butterfly shimmer in the sunlight like polished panes of turquoise,orange, green, and red.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of colour to be noticed: In life that which is unnoticed has the most power!

These beautiful pictures reminded me of that immortal quotation by Mahatma Gandhi in 1934; "I need no other inspiration than Nature's. She has never failed me yet. She mystifies me, bewilders me, sends me into ecstasies. Besides God's handiwork, does not man's fade into insignificance?"


4 comments:

Annette said...

They are beautiful.
Thankyou for sending the email.. Have posted on to friends and family.

Annette said...

David,please wil you go to:
Dickiebio.wordpress.com
I know you will love it, it's hilarious.
Thanks.
xxx

Annette said...

David, I have just asked you to read Dickiebo's blog, but did I tell you which one?
the one I mean is:
Start the week with a little religion
I honestly can't remember. You see if you read the comments I did explain I was in a foul mood until I read that. So, you see, my mind is not on it as such.
Sorry.
I know you will enjoy it as you have such a good sense of humour.
Thanks again.
xxx

Anonymous said...

David, great work. Much respect to you.

UK's search & save shopping