David J. Farley of Plympton, Plymouth, United Kingdom

David J. Farley of Plympton, Plymouth, United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Guy Fawkes Night or Living in a Warzone !

It has been the custom in this country for centuries to celebrate the defeat of Guy Fawkes' attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament in a gunpowder plot by holding a festival each year on November 5th when bonfires are lit and fireworks of all shapes and sizes are ignited. For the most part it is a joyful occasion when families gather around the bonfire and enjoy a mug of hot soup and a beefburger or hot dog. They spend a small fortune on very colourful and magnificent displays of rockets and other forms of fireworks. Long may it continue. However, there is another aspect to which I am not so enamoured and that relates to the use of loud bangers well into the night. In recent years they appear to have become more and more powerful with explosions more reminiscent of living in a warzone. Over the past few days I have witnessed terrified animals and household pets trembling with fear. I even heard of an instance of a banger being thrown through the letter box of an old age pensioner. It must also have been very scary for infant children and especially for the elderly living alone. Yesterday, I attended Evensong at my local church and the service was disrupted throughout by loud explosions. In my youth if Guy Fawkes Night fell on a Sunday we kept it up on the previous night. In these secular days no such deference is shown. Last year loud fireworks were even let off on Christmas Day and I fully expect the same this year. I am wondering if it is not time for our legislators to consider imposing controls on the use of fireworks especially in respect of the strenth of bangers. Also, the imposition of a time limit beyond which it would be illegal to let off fireworks, eg. 10pm.
It is now common place for fireworks to be used on special occasions at many other times of the year and I have no problem with that either. It is only the very loud explosions caused by the bangers that cause me some consternation. I would be interested in the views of others on this subject. Am I a lone voice living in the past or do you have empathy with my point of view?

No comments: