David J. Farley of Plympton, Plymouth, United Kingdom

David J. Farley of Plympton, Plymouth, United Kingdom

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Cruelty in the name of fun or sport?

I was shocked and appalled to see video footage shown on BBC Spotlight television news last evening of a bullfight in a village north of Madrid which involved a bull with sharp horns being actively encouraged by young men, performing as matadors, to charge a blind folded donkey which was protected on the sides by no more than a foam mattress. It had no protection whatsoever at the front or rear. Perhaps I have no right to comment on the traditions of another country but I could not live with my conscience if I did not speak up about this barbaric act of senseless cruelty to a defenceless animal in the name of fun or sport. Many years ago as a young person I attended a Spanish bullfight and the sights I saw at that event turned my stomach to such an extent that I have been an opponent of the sport ever since. It must have been a terrifying experience for that poor donkey who had no idea what was going on around him as he was charged from all angles by a furious bull for an inordinate amount of time. I ask myself how can people who consider themselves to be human beings inflict such harm upon an innocent animal in the name of fun or sport? I struggle to find an answer but I am immensely encouraged by Dawn Vincent who runs The Donkey Sanctuary in Sidmouth, East Devon, UK, who plans to pursue legal action through the European courts to prosecute the perpetrators of this evil act. I have sent a donation to assist her in this course of action and would invite you to do the same. I have no vested interest in this matter other than my utter disgust at anyone getting pleasure from inflicting such barbaric suffering on a poor blindfolded donkey let alone the tormented bull. Do post your comments; together we can make a difference!

No comments: