David J. Farley of Plympton, Plymouth, United Kingdom

David J. Farley of Plympton, Plymouth, United Kingdom

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Speeding Motorists - a new remedy!


Is it because I am getting into my third age or what? But I am increasingly alarmed at the inconsiderate motorists and motor cyclists who simply ignore the maximum speed limits permitted on our roads. Even on the motorways I am constantly overtaken by vehicles blatantly ignoring the 70 MPH limit. As for the 30 MPH restrictions around my home, well they may as well read 50 or 60 MPH and I have two schools in my vicinity! Why is everyone in such a tearing hurry these days? Invariably, you catch them up at the next set of traffic lights or area of congestion anyway!

I am most concerned for the elderly and parents with young children who cannot rush across the road in order to avoid a speeding vehicle. I have witnessed so many near misses that it fills me with horror the thought that one day someone is going to be badly injured or even killed by these accelerator/throttle happy drivers who think they are Formula One Kings of the Road. In case you think I am knocking young drivers let me stress that I am not because I have seen people old enough to know much better ignoring the speed limit signs. However, having said that there is a big problem with youngsters on these newer small motor cycles, probably no bigger than 49cc, which make a horrendous deafening noise polluting the environment but that is a separate issue and a subject for another day.

Go on say it, David is becoming a grumpy old man! Yes, and I agree with you. Come back Victor Meldrew (of TV sitcom "One Foot in the Grave") all is forgiven! "I don't belieeeeve it!"

The enforcement agencies do their best but it is impossible for them to be everywhere all of the time. In any case they come in for unfair criticism if they are perceived as hammering the poor motorists instead of catching criminals. Strange ideology that because, in my opinion, a person who kills or seriously injures another person on the roads because of dangerous or reckless driving is just that, a criminal!

I mentioned this to an internet pal of mine and he sent me this humorous picture of a possible solution to my problem. Grateful thanks to Dean and Mal but I think the civil liberty activists or human rights protagonists might have something to say about this politically incorrect remedy!

1 comment:

Annette said...

That is very funny.
Although the way some people drive, you could use one of them couldn't you!